July is the month of birthdays for us. My husband, sister, father, nephew, brother-in-law- and sister-in-law all have birthdays this month. Two of these family members even have a birthday on the same day!
So in honor of the month of birthdays, I’m sharing a recipe for crispy rice cereal treats. It’s yet another twist on the traditional treat. To achieve the birthday cake flavor you mix in salt, vanilla, white cake mix, and sprinkles!
It’s an easy treat that comes together really quickly… and it has a flavor that both kids and adults will enjoy.
Birthday Cake Crispy Rice Cereal Treats
White cake mix is the secret ingredient for this crispy rice treat cereal recipe. The cake mix gives these treats that birthday cake flavor!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 oz package of marshmallows
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup white cake mix
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Food coloring, additional white chocolate chips, and sprinkles for decorating (optional).
- In large pot, melt butter over low heat. Add in marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Add in the salt, vanilla, and cake mix and stir to combine. Once combined, remove from the heat.
- Add cereal and sprinkles. Stir until combined.
- Press the mixture into an 8 x 8 inch pan coated with nonstick spray. Let cool completely
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave (using short 30 second bursts until melted).
- Pour the chocolate over the top of the treats and spread it in an even layer.
- Melt additional white chocolate and tint it with coloring. Drizzle over the top and add more sprinkles.
- Place treats in the freezer until the chocolate has hardened, about 5 minutes.
- Cut the treats into 2″ x 2″ pieces and serve.