Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Unlike most slow cooker recipes, there is a secret step that happens just before serving. After the chicken is cooked, you separate the chicken from the broth and then reduce the broth in a saucepan with a few additional ingredients. The result is a flavor packed BBQ sauce. The reduced sauce is the secret step that separates this recipe from all other slow cooker pulled chicke recipes.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon chicken rub (I used the FOX brothers BBQ Chicken Rub – if salt is not an ingredient in your rub be sure to salt your chicken to taste)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar + 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 4 brioche buns
- Add the chicken, rub, orange juice, BBQ sauce, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and onion in the slow cooker and mix with a spatula until the chicken is fully coated.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 6-8 hours (internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165 degrees F)
- After cooking, remove all the chicken from the broth and shred it using two forks.
- Pour the broth into a medium saucepan and add in 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and apple cider viegar.
- Boil over high heat for 8-10 minutes or until the broth has thickened into a BBQ sauce consistency.
- Serve the chicken on buns and top chicken with the remaining sauce.