My sister hosted a Christmas cookie swap this weekend and it was such a success. All of the guests brought such a great assortment of cookies and my husband was ecstatic when I walked in the house with a perfect mix of holiday cookies.
This past week was an unexpectedly stressful week for us filled with Christmas parties, unplanned get togethers, and an EXTREMELY sick dog. When it came time to start baking for the cookie swap I was wiped out. I wanted to make something home made and delicious but I didn’t really have time or energy to whip up some complex, cookie cutter, frosted masterpiece.
I was so happy when I found the Quick Chocolate Sandwich Cookies recipe by Taste of Home. I was skeptical at first because if you know me well, you know I like to bake from scratch. But this recipe sounded delicious, easy to make, and inexpensive. So I gave it a shot and the cookies came out absolutely amazing.
If you’re looking for a good cookie recipe that’s easy to make and assemble, then this recipe is for you. The cookie is made with devils food cake mix, oil, and eggs. The filling is cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar.
Here are some good tips to keep in mind as you make the cookies!
- Don’t expect to get 6 dozen cookies (which is how many servings the recipe says). I made pretty small cookie balls and I got about 3.5 dozen sandwich cookies.
- Use a cookie scoop to get evenly sized cookies. This is important so they’re the same size and cook at the same rate. I use a size small cookie scoop similar to THIS ONE by OXO.
- Check your cookies for doneness. They’re supposed to be soft but not TOO soft. I had to cook each batch for 10 minutes.
- Make the cookies the day before filling them. This will insure they’re completely cooled before filling.
- Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Make sure you leave adequate space between the cookies. They flatten out as they cook and after they come out of the oven.
- Experiment with fillings. You don’t have to stick with the cream cheese. These would be great filled with ice cream, chocolate ganache, raspberry filling, and of course, ICE CREAM!
Happy Baking! And again, be sure to check out the Quick Chocolate Sandwich Cookies recipe by Taste of Home: https://bit.ly/2QTQzot