I love fried rice… but my inner child comes out whenever I eat it and I tend to pick around the peas and carrots. Below you will find my recipe for a simple and easy fried rice. It incorporates brown rice, eggs, green onions, and soy sauce. This rice is a great side dish that goes with baked chicken, fried shrimp, or any asian take-out inspired dishes. It can also be served as a main dish if you add in a cup of chopped grilled chicken.
Cooking is something I love to do. From fried foods, to quick and easy, I love everything about cooking. It’s a hobby that I’ve had since I was a kid. Unfortunately, I can cook or bake almost anything, except for rice. For some reason my rice always come out crunchy or overcooked and gummy. I’ve found success with Success Boil-In-Bag rice. This stuff is fool-proof and makes rice cooking a breeze. I used two bags of the success rice for this recipe (4 cups cooked rice) but any brand of rice should work. I suggest using jasmine rice, long grain white rice, sushi rice, or brown rice.
Fried rice is cooked best in a wok but can also be prepared in a large non-stick skillet. I purchased my wok from IKEA quite a few years ago. Ikea has an affordable and quality wok available for purchase in store or on online.
Simple and Easy Fried Rice
Total Time: 15 Minutes | 4 – 6 Servings
Recommended Specialty Cookware: Wok
- 4 cups pre-cooked and refrigerated or room temperature rice (warm rice does not work well with this recipe)
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 3 Green onions roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a wok or large nonstick pan over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot add in 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
- Once the oil is hot, crack the eggs directly into the pan and lightly scramble until they are fully cooked.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan and gently stir until the egg and rice and combined.
- Add the soy sauce and mix until combined. Once the soy sauce is combined increase the heat to high, spread the rice as shallow as possible across the pan and let it “fry” for 3 – 4 minutes. Combine or stir the rice as needed to keep it from overcooking in one area.
- Add the green onions, stir gently, and remove from heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.